Regarding the third myth (that narcissists are prone to suicide, especially after a life crisis involving a narcissistic injury):
Narcissists VERY rarely commit suicide. They have suicidal ideation and reactive psychoses under severe stress – but to commit suicide runs against the grain of narcissism. This is more of a BPD trait. The differential diagnosis of NPD from BPD rests on the absence of attempted suicide and self-mutilation in NPD.
In response to a life crisis (divorce, disgrace, imprisonment, accident and severe narcissistic injuries) the narcissist is likely to adopt either of two reactions:
He finally refers himself to therapy, realising that something is dangerously wrong with him. Statistics show that talk therapies are rather ineffective when it comes to narcissists. Soon enough, the therapist is bored, fed up or actively repelled by the grandiose fantasies and open contempt of the narcissist. The therapeutic alliance crumbles and the narcissist emerges "triumphant" having sucked the therapist's energy dry.
He frantically gropes for alternative Sources of Narcissistic Supply. Narcissists are very creative. If all fails, they exhibitionistically make use of their own misery. Or they lie, create a fantasy, invent stories, harp on other people's emotions, forge a medical condition, pull a stunt, fall in ideal love with the chief nurse, make a provocative move or a crime… The narcissist is bound to come up with a surprising angle.
He called this morning - once again- depressed and full of darkness.
The world is against him, people are out to get him- to rip him off.
He is waking up crying, sweating.
I lived with him to help him. 12 years I tried to get him to receive professional help.
But his cure was to find a victim and 'feed' until the next crisis.
- I listened to him and calmly told him that he should call his doctor and demand help
NOW. That he needs a prescription , that this isn't a life sentence to be on pills- just
to get him over the hump.
For my own help I called a 'hot line' and made sure what I had told him was ok.
She agreed with me, and also that I should Not go over there because it might
be a ploy.
The forth call of the day he was suddenly better-
I feel sorry for the victim.
* I was right... he was "cured" by going out with a woman & getting attention. No more help from me, that's for sure.
*update- he actually did go to the doctors & get antidepressants-
I am truly shocked. I hope he stays with them & clears his mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment