Friday, October 12, 2012

Facebook Etiquette

I made the mistake of posting about my aunt being at the end of her life.
Didn't say it like that, but one of her daughters chastised me.
I deleted the post so fast I hardly recall what she said-
something about private and painful.
My heart dropped.

My aunt is very important to me.
She was my first exposure to an adult who was loving.
After one summer there as a kid on the dairy farm
 running through the fields, I came home and hid.
I hid in the shed with a braided hay bale twine
 I had used to whack the backs of the cows.
I tried to preserve the smell on it of hay and sweet
silage...
My aunt, always laughing and smiling.
I Returned to my cold hard home.

4 comments:

Sultan said...

I don't think you did anything wrong. Acknowledging her grave condition is just being honest. Expressing your sadness and dismay at her terminal condition is being respectful. Most of my beloved relatives are gone now and I miss them fiercely. Acting like the person is about to get better is just disingenuous. No one else has the right to tell you how to grieve.

Good wishes to you.

CAROLDEE said...

Your opinion and feelings are honest and loving..she is probably sensitive at this time and just upset in general. Things can get tricky when you deal with illness..Laoch is right
no one can tell you how to grieve for her.

Katie Isabella said...

Loach said it for me as well my dear friend. Please stop chastising yourself for someone else's thoughts that had no relevance to your heart and your words. xox

Haphazardkat said...

I saw your facebook post and thought it was fine. You have friends there and here who love that you share your heart with us. I'm sorry about your Aunt, Jadeykins. I know how precious a soft place to escape to was/is. I'm glad you had her in your life to show you such kindness.
hugsssss