Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Feline Hyperesthesia

Myst has had this disorder her whole life.
Classic symptoms start with swishing tail, then rippling back,
shaking head hard, licking her flank... Then if I don't put my hand
 on her back and calm her it gets worse and she will zoom about and Howl
 in distress. Recently I switched her to canned food.
The biggest change with this is an empty food bowl all night.
 In order to keep her at 10 pounds I have given her 1 can a day-
but this leaves nothing left at night. I'm not positive,
but I think this is causing her great stress.
 Last night she was out of control all night !!

Here is a video of another cat with it but Myst doesn't have the hallucinations.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q-cIM2X-IE&feature=related 


I have witnessed hallucinations in cats twice in my life, both were the result of toxicity of some sort. One was from a flea collar, the other was a male with urinary problems.

3 comments:

Admiral Hestorb said...

Has the vet any suggestions? If she can have wet and dry maybe she can have an auto feeder to help? She may be very hungry. Are they the small 3 oz cans?
Xox

Seeking Serenity said...

Me thinks it was exacerbated by catnip >*_*<

Stacy Hurt said...

A Very Meyowling Christmas to you too!

xoxo
Ms. Stella O'Houligan