Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Help

Reading the book by K. Stockett brings back faded memories
 of visiting my aunt as a child. She hired an african american maid. I remember barely seeing the woman in an apron and do-rag on her head vacuuming and polishing the furniture. My aunt was quite suspicious and afraid that she would steal the silverware and kept a close count on it.
All my relatives counted the silver-heck they even counted it when we visited.
This book actually has this in it, and how insulting it was from the maid's point.
I think the maid she had made herself scarce because I only caught fleeting glimpses of her.
My only thought was that I found it odd.
Odd that she was black.
Odd she was big.
And odd that my aunt hired someone to clean her already clean house.
( my sister says her name was Ruby and she "loved us kids", what do you know)

One day we came back to the house and I saw someone drop down from upstairs past the window outside.
We had walked in on a robbery.
All the silver and things were in pillow cases ready to be taken.
I was just a child but I remember the uproar.

I recommend this book for it's not so long ago history.
I love the way it is written, each chapter from the different points of view of the characters.
It is written during the late 50's early sixties and I can recall what was going on in my life at the time.

2 comments:

Admiral Hestorb said...

i agree that it's insulting..I also know that no matter the ethnic origion..some folks are thieves..just a fact of life. xxoo

Leigh said...

What interesting memories this book brought back for you. Kids are so much purer in how they see things, aren't they. Nowadays, nobody seems to trust anybody. Very sad.