Being surrounded by the 'consumerism' mindset on a daily basis, it is difficult to hold onto the lifestyle I was brought up with by my parents. This being one of - Ok, I have been trying to find what the opposite of consumerism and all I can find is 'Minimalism".
This Blog entry explains it well.
Living within your means.
Maintaining what you have rather than throwing away & replacing.
Doing without on purpose because I do not NEED this or that
(sure, I could buy it)
I have noticed that the quality of material that clothing and underwear are made of has deteriorated to the point of promoting disposal rather than repair.
I have noticed that people wear indoor bedroom slippers outdoors in the snow, why?
Because they will just throw them away.
This leads to what I did... I was SO tempted to purchase new pink slippers. Mine were very dirty.not white or pink. I went to the store in hopes of buying this unneeded 'treat' but as I stood in the isle I was overcome by the smell.
Plastics and manmade materials, produced in foreign countries where the workers have no rights and are sitting there day after day breathing in those chemicals...
I left.
And I did what gave me more pleasure. I washed my slippers by hand in the tub. More labor intense,yes, but I have nice slippers once again and stayed true to myself.
Here is another blog entry about this mindset.
2 comments:
I LOVE this post! My family calls me the eco ninja because of all my commitment to waste free living, reducing the amount of miles my merchandise travels, and all that goes along with it. This is why I opened my etsy store, to make things by hand, things that will last well beyond their outsourced inexpensive counterparts. Thank you for being aware and intelligent!
Much Love~A
I have tried, admittedly off and on, to keep that same mindset. Like what you said, by the way, about floor sweepings yesterday. That is about the sum total of many of those products.
Post a Comment