Monday, October 25, 2010

FIRE

Awoke to the sound of a building alarm.
Not a smoke detector, but the real thing....
...somewhere..... got out of bed onto porch...
where is it? Hmm, maintenance vehicle zooms up.
I now hear it is in my building, I look out again & see
a woman sitting out there in a shirt & nothing else.
Firemen arrive asking if there is smoke, if it's real.
Crap. It's real. I get dressed.
Alarm begins to BLAST in my apartment. Holy shit, they are setting up a command center!!!
Pack my cart.
Duffel with clothes,computer,storage drive,netbook,ipod,
water,coat.
I find Myst under the bed, put into carrier.
ALWAYS get her FIRST, I reprimand myself.
Heart pounding I go out into hall- smoke!
I close the door and put masking tape around the edge.
Bring Myst onto porch, close the door & watch.
Turns out the fire was on the 4th floor.
Mom and I are on 2nd.
The guy was on OXYGEN and smoking in bed.
water damage is heavy all the way down to the first where
there are offices. Even mom has some.
They say the place is really burned.
Mom said she watched the security cam
on her tv the whole time but cannot understand why she is
so tired. Some of this post is alittle out of order,but you get the idea.

Question of the day: What would you take with you.

2 comments:

GoFaster said...

I am glad you, Myst and your Mom are OK.

Ramblingon said...

My little girl and my purse.